Monday, October 27, 2014

Get Excited, It's Almost Election Day!

This past week my head has been filled with jack-o-lantern designs, Harry Potter-themed dinner party ideas, and of course, the Mid-Term election occurring on November 4 this year.  I imagine that most of you readers are now groaning audibly over the mention of the midterm election.  I myself have just about had enough of most of the coverage by our big national news stations.  HOWEVER, voting is perhaps the most important part of living in a representative democracy, and if you are a United States citizen THIS IS YOUR CIVIC DUTY.  Seriously, voting is awesome.  I love watching my ballot getting sucked into the ballot box (fun fact, we still use paper ballots in Vermont). 


I hadn't planned on covering the election in my blog at all, but in light of some recent words spoken by certain people about a certain demographic that I fall under, I feel inspired to write not about specific candidates and issues that are important in this election, but to give you, the voter, as much information as possible about the election schedule, polling places, ballot issues, and candidates so that you have all the tools you need to cast an informed vote.  On that note, this article will be most pertinent for Vermonters/Burlington residents, so if you are reading this from outside the 802, my apologies, this only sort of applies to you (cause I expect those of you who are able to vote in the US to do so no matter where you live).  Here is a list of several important things Vermonters need to know before heading to the polls on NOVEMBER 4th.

1. Register to Vote!!!
Are you registered to vote in the city or town that you live in?? If you are not, why not?  One of the first things I did when I moved to Burlington, besides getting a library card, was to register to vote in Burlington.  It's really easy.  I went online to the City of Burlington's website, clicked on the section for the Office of the Clerk/Treasurer, and there's a link where you can download a registration formSimply fill out the form and mail it to City Hall on Church Street. Or you can register to vote in person simply by walking over to City Hall (the Town Clerk's Office is open until 5pm). 

Keep in mind that the deadline to register to vote for this coming election is OCTOBER 29TH, which is in 2 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!  So if you haven't registered yet, you have less than 48 hours in which to do that.  Also, if you are not 18 (the legal voting age) by October 29th, but you WILL be 18 by November 4th, you need to fill out an Intent to Register form so your name can go on the registration checklist.  Woot!

2. Polling places
I hope many of you are asking me, "Kristen, where do I go to vote once I'm registered?"  Well, that's a great question!!  Burlington is divided geographically into wards, and each ward has its own polling place.  Here's a list of all the polling places in Burlington by ward:

Ward 1
Mater Christi School
100 Mansfield Avenue

Ward 2
H.O. Wheeler School
Corner of Archibald and Walnut St.
Ward 3
Lawrence Barnes
Elementary School
123 North Street
Ward 4
St. Mark's Youth Center
1271 North Avenue

Ward 5
Burlington Electric Dept.  
585 Pine Street
 Ward 6
Edmunds Middle School
275 Main Street

Ward 7
Robert Miller Rec Center
130 Gosse Court

If you're not sure what ward you live in, click here and find out!!
 
3. Early/absentee voting
If any of you have found yourself going, "Crap! I'm (insert explanation here) on Tuesday and I just can't make it to the poll," never fear, you can request an absentee ballot or vote early!  In Vermont, early voting starts 30 days before the election, which means you can go vote RIGHT NOW, or AS SOON AS THE TOWN CLERK'S OFFICE IS OPEN AND BEFORE 5:00pm ON NOVEMBER 3RD.  I was studying abroad in Morocco during the 2010 midterm election, but I filled out a request for an absentee ballot.  I got a nice big paper ballot in the mail, I filled it out, sealed it up and mailed it back.  Obviously, if you do submit an absentee ballot by mail, please ensure that your ballot will make it back to the Town Clerk's office before polls close on election day.

Fun Fact: The Town Clerk's Office will be open from 9:00am-Noon this Saturday, November 1st for early voting, so yeah, go vote!!

4. Rides/Accessibility to polling places
I fortunately can walk to my polling place, but if transportation is an issue for you in any way shape or form, you can either make the decision to request an absentee ballot or vote early, or have your ballot delivered to your home on election day (but please, only if you truly can't leave your house, don't be lazy).  The CCTA bus will surely go near all of these places, and you can absolutely bum a ride from your friend too, which ensures that there will be at least two more people voting instead of one.  Did I mention Vermonters with disabilities have the option to "vote by phone"

5. Candidate/Issue Research
Here we go, the "hard" part; the homework part.  Ideally, before you cast your ballot you should have at least some idea of who or what you are voting for.  In fact, I strongly urge you to do your own research before voting.  Don't know who's running?  Fear not!  You can download a sample ballot for your own ward so you know not only who's running for what, but also exactly how your ballot is going to look on election day.  Pretty sweet right?  Most candidates running for political office these days have websites, so a quick Google search should square you away if you want to check out the issues they care about.  If you don't have access to a computer at home, the public library is a great option AND the librarians will be able to help you out if your computer starts getting all freaky.  You can also look at various print media like Seven Days or the Burlington Free Press, which have offered some election/candidate coverage.

Well, there you have it.  Please vote.  When you register to vote, and when you actually DO vote, please be sure to follow all written and verbal instructions you may receive (ie: please mark your ballot correctly, follow signs to correct rooms, etc).  Additionally, if you feel that I've left out any important information regarding the voting process, and to this upcoming election PLEASE let me know.  I want everyone to have access to the most accurate, up-to-date information possible.  Make me proud!

Resources/Relevant Websites

Vermont Secretary of State
City of Burlington, Clerk/Treasurer's Office
Rock the Vote

No comments:

Post a Comment